Twenty(two) Questions

Well, I'm part of an accountabilty group and we go through a list of quesitons (I know I've mentioned it before). I was thinking last night about the questions that Wesley had his group go through (the whole list is here - scroll down and you'll find them).

So, I thought I'd deal with the questions as an exercise in blogging...or, um, something.

Anyway, here goes....

Am I consciously or unconsciously creating the impression that I am better than I really am? In other words, am I a hypocrite?

I've done it. I know I have. I remember the days when I wanted to impress people. As much as I get away from that attitude, I still find myself doing it.

Politicians call it spin.

When I was a kid, I'd try to minimize my apparent involvement in the bad stuff I'd do. You know, it's not really my fault, after all... As an adult I may be even better at it.

So, in some ways I create "the impression that I am better than I really am" by minimizing my own failures and, truth be told, my own sinful nature. That's easy to do. I can just point out some other people who are "way worse than me." The critical, the gossips, the self-absorbed, the foolish, the inconsistent, the addicted. And yet, that's all me, too, isn't it? Sigh...

And then there's the "I gotta get credit for this and that" so that I can appear to be "better than I really am." Yeah, the internet really was all my idea. Honest. I want to get credit for stuff that I do. And when it's really good, I want ALL the credit - and maybe even more than I deserve.

Thing is, I have yet to accomplish anthing - and I mean ANYTHING - by myself. Everything that I've done that has been successful has been tied in with other people - being inspired by, encouraged by, working with, whatever - that which I have accomplished has been a community effort. And, truth be told, most of the credit goes to God anyway.

People say to me after I preach, "Good message" or words like that. What do I say? "You should have seen the struggle I had. How I was convicted by this passage and how God had to break me apart so that I could see the truth in the Scriptures. You should have been there as I wrote and re-wrote and beat my head against the wall because I don't want to just handle God's word lightly - but with the very weight of the Good News of God that it is." Is that what I say. Nope. "Thanks, I appreciate the encouragement." And the truth is I couldn't have preached a message at all if I wasn't in this community of faith here in Warren. And your struggles and your hopes are all a part of who I am now and are all a part of what God is doing in me, and in us.

"Thanks."

Like it's all me, or something.

"Am I a hypocrite?"

Yep. Too many times. Thing is, I don't see it when I am.

So, I look at myself. Where is it? Criticism. Sarcasm. Selfishness.

Sigh...

Twenty one to go...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Goodbye, Farewell

Back from Innovate 2007 Inspired

When (the Trivially) Wrong Is Right...