Rambling...


I guess I needed...lemme check...three weeks off. Sorry. It all kicked in with Annual Conference - and it hasn't slowed down at all...

Last night I moved heaved and earth to get a computer connection to our main TV so that Lori could watch a Netflix "watch instantly" or whatever they call it. I have a couple "used" computers at the house - still good, figured I'd be able to use one to buffer the video so that we could watch the movie - it's an XP machine, should have been able to handle it but...no direct internet connection. I grabbed a wireless USB internet...thing...from the church. Of course to install it - wait for it - I had to be on the internet and download the drivers... sigh... Tried another machine, loaded with Ubuntu. I couldn't connect it either... ('cause I'm a geek...but sometimes a hopelessly clueless geek...)

So I did what I should have done in the first place and connected the laptop to the TV. Now, I didn't want to do that because, frankly, I didn't want to watch the movie that Lori had picked out and I intended to surf the 'net while she watched her, yeah, I'm going to go there - chick flick. Bleah.

But, all evidence to the contrary, I'm a pretty good husband, so I made the sacrifice and got it all going on the laptop (I didn't even pout as I sat on the couch and watched it, honest).

The movie was Julie & Julia about Julia Child when she first learned to cook and when she collaborated on her first cookbook and a woman named Julie who feels like her life is going nowhere and decides to start a blog (to gain purpose?) and blog about cooking all 520something recipes in Julia's first book - in a year.

And it wasn't bad. I enjoyed it more than I thought I would, anyway.

I found myself way more interested in Julia Child's history than in following the insecurities and narcissism of the contemporary Julie. Still - the evolution of the blog and the followers and the comments - and hearing people's opinions of what she was doing change as she became "successful" was interesting.

And maybe that has pushed me to get back to it. I don't know. But here I am again. I will say that over the past month when I've sat down to the keyboard to write anything it's been like trying to drive through thick fog - or snow. The thoughts are out there...but I can't quite grasp them, I can't quite see them. That worries me a bit, I have to admit.

The other thing is that I just haven't felt like I've had anything to say. Bono (of U2) says that writers shouldn't suffer from writer's block. From the book Bono: In Conversation with Michka Assayas he says:
Even as a child I remember sitting, listening to my teacher in school talking about the great Irish poet William Butler Yeats. he had a writer's block - there was a period when he couldn't write. I put my hand up and said: "Why didn't he write about that?" - "Don't be stupid. Put your had down, don't be so cheeky." But I didn't mean it as a smart-arse. I have lived off that idea: Know the truth, the truth will set you free. If I've nothing to say, that's the first line of the song. In fact, even on our second album [October], I was about having nothing to say: I try to sing this song...I try to stand up but I can't find my feet/I try to speak up but only with you am I complete. This has always been the trick for me. And maybe its just that: a trick. But it tricks me out of myself. I am able to write, always, because as a writer, I am always unable to not be true.
And, yeah, that's true for Bono, I don't doubt that a bit... and it makes a certain amount of sense.
So...I just need to write through it, right?

Yeah...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Goodbye, Farewell

Back from Innovate 2007 Inspired

When (the Trivially) Wrong Is Right...