Achy Sunday Afternoon

This has been a heck of a weekend.  Friday, Willet, a great band from Maryland (they used to be called Clearview, for those keeping score) played a concert at the church - starting their weekend event called the Hunger Strike.  They spent Friday night and most of Saturday with our youth and then they led worship music and shared the message at church today.  And it was a great weekend - but it has been an exhausting weekend for me, too.

You see, Friday, the band came and there was a mix up in what they would need and I had to scramble to get speakers and amps set up (had a lot of help, not complaining, mind you - but I was REALLY tired they finished the concert - which I got to run sound for) then I took the girls to Kane to stay with my aunt because Lori and I were heading to a conference Saturday - got home about midnight - up at 6 on Saturday, Cranberry Township for most of the day - back to Kane after we got back so we could bring the girls home - finally home at about 9 pm.  Bed around 11 and up around 5 (alarm was set for 6, but it's Sunday and I'm almost ALWAYS up before the alarm on Sundays), did a little worship set up and cooked luncheon for 35 people (stuffed chicken breast, gigantic baked potatoes, green beans, strawberry short cake...mmmm).  So, I'm saying all this just to indicate that I was exhausted.  I mean beat down tired...

So it's 2:00 on Sunday afternoon and Elie is waiting to go on a playdate with one of her friends - we thought the parents were picking her up at 2 (never take a 7 year old's word on scheduling...) so I sent Lori and Rachel back up to the house and Elie was playing in the church parking lot.

I hobbled to the door (my feet were KILLING me) and yelled out to Elie, "When they come to get you, come here to tell me so I know when you're leaving."  And I went back to my office, sat down at the computer and then said to myself, "This is stupid," shut it down, got up and went out and shot hoops with Elie (with a basketball with not nearly enough air in it, but who cares?) and then we sat on a picnic table and played twenty questions and 45 minutes later they still hadn't come and we walked up to the house and called and her friend's parents came about half an hour later.

And it was awesome.

And I thank God so much that I didn't just sit in front of that stupid lcd screen and ignore my little girl.  How many times have I done that?  What is wrong with me?

So now I'm sitting in front of a different glowing screen, next to Rachel watching Tangled - it's actually pretty good - and Rachel was really excited to have me watch it with her.  Yeah, I'm typing right now - but I'm here, we're watching it - it's a good Sunday afternoon.  Yeah, I'm still exhausted, my feet still hurt, and I very well may fall asleep.  But we're hanging out together.

And it's all good.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Buzzword Bingo

B C Comic