The Bad in Me, the Good in You


“Daddy,” she said as she looked up at me, “I want to be just like you.” I smiled as I hugged her but I thought to myself, “No, I want you to be so much better.” You see, I know where I’ve failed, where I’m weak, the mistakes that I’ve made. I want so much more for my daughters. You see, they only see the good things (well, mostly the good things…) but I can see it all.

That's how my article starts this month for the church newletter - and I go on to make some really deep, theological points...or, probably not...

What prompted this opening paragraph was that my girls have both said to me, on very different occasions, that they want to be just like me. I can't imagine why - what do they see in me that I can't see? Where is the good in me? I mean, it must be there, but...

Well, it prompted me to write a song about the whole thing. Here's a draft of the lyrics:

Be Just Like You

Daddy she said looking up at me, I wanna be just like you
I want to do all the things you do, I want to be just like you.
I want to reach up and touch the sky, I want to believe what you believe
I want to say all the things you say, I want to be just like you...

I said you just don't understand, I'm not who you think I am
I've caused my share of suffering, mostly I'm just a broken man
I've felt hurt and loss and shame, I've told my share of lies
I'll never be who you see in those innocent eyes

Rachel I said holding on to her I wanna be just like you
I want to see the best in everyone – I want to be just like you
I want to love like a child again, I want to trust and believe

I want to dance and sing and live again – I want to be just like you

Daddy she said as I took her hand, I wanna be just like you
I want grow up strong and big, I want to be just like you
I want to do what I want to do, I want to see what you can see
I want to be everything you are, I want to be just like you

I said you just don't understand, I'm not who you think I am
I've caused my share of suffering, mostly I'm just a broken man
I've felt hurt and loss and shame, I've told my share of lies
I'll never be who you see in those innocent eyes

Elie I said as I picked her up – I wanna be just like you
I want to laugh at the rain again – I want to be just like you
I want to see the sky as beautiful, I want to love and not be hurt

I want to run with ponies in my mind – I want to be just like you

Daddy she said holding on to me... I wanna be just like you...


God, save them from the bad in me, shape them in the good in You...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Buzzword Bingo

B C Comic