Jon Foreman's New Project

I was wandering in a discount CD/DVD store last week and I picked up a couple of things - Everlife for Rachel (though I kind of like it, and they do cover "What I Like About You" which I always think is a Kinks song, but it's the Romantics...) and I got the first Galactic Cowboys CD (self-titled, though it's a reissue).



And I picked up this:













Now, I like Switchfoot. So I saw this CD by Jon Foreman, lead singer of Switchfoot, on the rack and I thought I'd give it a try.



Foreman is clearly trying new things. I didn't really expect it to be Switchfoot-esque or anything, but this is waaaaaaay on the other end of the spectrum.



Each CD has 6 songs - they're very intimate and quiet songs. Foreman is more introspective on these CDs than on anything with the band. The weakness of the songs, for me, is that they all kind of sound alike - like a guy sitting in his bedroom late at night fooling around with looping his guitar and some quiet percussion and meandering some melodies over top. Indeed, in the liner notes he writes that the songs were written and recorded when everybody was asleep (or something like that, the CD's in the car...)



Oddly, that may also be the strength of these songs. No need to fit them into an ABABBCBB format or 3:30 with a guitar solo. There's experimentation here - and it's good stuff. As I've listened to the CDs a few times, I'm growing to like them more and more. For what it's worth, I think the standout tracks are on the Winter CD (of this 2 disc collection). "Somebody's Baby" really hit me. The guitar loops the same thing over and over as Foreman plays out the story of a homeless woman and reminds us that "She's somebody's baby, somebody's baby girl. She's somebody's baby, somebody's baby girl. And she's somebody's baby still."



He follows it with Psalm 51 - one of my favorite psalms - called "Whiter Than Snow" with a very catchy melody and lyrics right from King David's confession.



And he's planning on releasing two more EP CDs this year, each with six songs (called, of course, Spring and Summer). Spring is already out, Summer is on its way...



But it's kind of a recipe for disaster. I mean, Switchfoot fans are likely to give it the once over and give it a pass for not sounding like the band, and folks who like singer/songwriter stuff are likely to not give it a try 'cause he's the lead singer for Switchfoot... So, Jon, who's your audience?



Well, I say give 'em a try. These are great songs that might just lead you to think a little more and love a little deeper.

Comments

Job said…
Actually, I'm a diehard Switchfoot fan, and I really really enjoy Jon's solo stuff. His most honest lyrical writing can be seen in these songs.

I know for a fact a lot of the band's true fans really dig these ep's. Maybe the casual radio-listening Switchfoot fan will pass it over though.

Peace!!!
Anonymous said…
as job said, i too have witnessed the fact that a lot of switchfoot's long-time fans are really loving jon's stuff. i think a lot of that has to do with the fact that switchfoot tends to attract thinking, open-minded people as their fans. jon's solo stuff is still right down that alley.

also, if you love switchfoot, it often means you love a good rock song, but also like to mellow down to a quieter song near the end of an album. jon's solo stuff is like those mellow songs but maybe even better in lots of ways.

i've introduced a few family and friends (who haven't taken to switchfoot) to jon's solo work, and they have all been very intrigued, even going on to buy the rest of the EP's without my prompting. it didn't bother them that he was from switchfoot. my recommendation was good enough for them to at least give it a try.
Anonymous said…
p.s. i think his honesty is a really big part of it as well. it's enough to disarm the most hesitant of listeners.
Anonymous said…
I, too, am a diehard Switchfoot fan. And I'm absolutely in love with Jon's solo EP.

I've been sharing Jon's EPs with friends and family and ALL OF THEM (even those who dislike Switchfoot), love his solo stuff. Looks like he already has his audience.
Anonymous said…
Like Job and Jeanna, I am a hardcore fan of Switchfoot who fell in love with Jon's solo work almost instantly. These songs are like personal conversations with a ordinary man who happens to be the frontman for a rock band. Switchfoot fans may be suprised at their first listen to Jon's EP's, but his beautiful contemplations grow on you fast. Jon really is not lacking in appreciative listeners.
Anonymous said…
I completely disagree that Switchfoot fans won't like his EP's. I am a huge fan of the foot. Switchfoot it such a diverse band in the first place. Jon writes so much diverse music that you never get bored. I absolutely LOVE his EPs. They are so honest and passionate.

I have also been spreading the word about the EPs and so far I haven't met many who don't like them. His music definitely has an audience.

Popular posts from this blog

Buzzword Bingo

B C Comic