Bravery

Jon Acuff wrote a bit about bravery that I saw this morning.  I thought I'd add my thoughts...

Bravery is being afraid and doing it anyway. That's my definition. Yes, we can bravely do the wrong thing. Too many qualifiers and adjectives and the point gets lost. The point is, bravery is not about not being afraid, it's about doing the right thing anyway.  And it seems like it's pretty uncommon.

There's a reason that there are only about 3500 people who have ever been awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor, and less than twenty (okay, 19) who have received it more than once.

I often think of firefighters and police officers who literally run toward the things that sane people run away from - not just because "it's their job" and not because they have no fear - but because bravery is knowing its scary, but doing it anyway... I personally knew two police officers who died in the line of duty.* I know former volunteer firefighters who fight PTSD because they run toward what sane people run away from.

Bravery is not the absence of fear. Bravery is being afraid and doing it anyway.

Fear is the killer of most good things:

Fear of rejection

Fear of reprisal

Fear of being misunderstood

Fear of failing

Fear of succeeding**

Fear of change

Fear of... wow, you know we are afraid of a lot of things.

Creatives sometimes get lost in fear and don't create, or never quite get to the finish line.***

Leaders sometimes get lost in fear and the vision falters, the organization crawls to a halt, the company/ non-profit/ school/ whatever begins a slow collapse...

And on the list could go, right?

And here's a truth:

There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love. (1 John 4:18, NIV)

And that IS true... but maybe not as helpful as we want it to be when we say it.

When I'm afraid, it's good to know that "perfect love drives out fear..." but... well... HOW?

I'm losing sleep. I want to throw up. My brain hurts from the choices I know I need to make but it's hard to make my mouth say it, my legs move there, my hands open up from the clammy clenched fists...  So, yeah, perfect love drives out fear.

For me - when I'm afraid - I have to trust that God (perfect love) has things more in hand than I do, so I maybe don't have to stress over it quite so much. Is that what faith is all about? "Now faith is confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see." (Hebrews 11:1, NIV) Is that what Jesus meant when he said don't worry about tomorrow?

Faith is a funny thing. It indicates, in no small way, that I completely trust God. That no matter the circumstances, God's got this...

Bravery is... faith in action? Yeah, I think it is. 'Cause I don't have to be afraid when God's with me. In fact: If God is for us, who can be against us?****

Bravery is being afraid and doing it anyway...

Brave is sitting in the oncologist's office

Brave is writing the first word on the blank page

Brave is the first brush stroke on the blank canvas

Brave is getting on the treadmill

Brave is saying "I forgive you"

Brave is asking, "Can you forgive me?"

Brave is having the awkward conversation

Brave is setting boundaries for your teen*****

Brave is doing what's right for your elderly parents

Brave is listening more and talking less

Brave is not having all the answers

Brave is wanting better for other people

Brave is trusting God








* One died on what appeared to be a routine traffic stop - so, yeah, they really do put their lives on the line every day they put on the uniform. Remember that next time you whine about getting a warning for having a tail light out...or a ticket for speeding...which you totally were doing anyway...

**Yeah, who knew that was a thing, right? 

*** I have no fewer than 20 writing projects on my computer, at least half of them are 90% or more finished... but they languish... why? I can only say I'm afraid I guess...

**** Romans 8:31b NIV

***** Though it might rip you apart to enforce them sometimes....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Buzzword Bingo

B C Comic