God Rules

Bet not too many people remember the band Undercover. Was looking over my CD collection the other day and I pulled out the Broken Records '88 compilation Undercover Vol. 1. Just about the only thing I every remember from the band is the song "God Rules." Bet not too many people remember it, either... (well, the other thing I remember is the GREAT Boys and Girls Renounce the World album cover and song...)

God Rules
Last time water, this time fire
The day is getting down to the wire
I've heard Jesus mocked and now I'm tired
God is true and men are liars
God Rules
Jesus helps me day and night
Took my sins and flushed them right outa here
The devil lost the fight
Jesus won with power and might
God Rules
There's more to life than getting stoned
And sitting in the twilight zone
He is coming to take us home
Don't be left here all alone
God Rules
By Ojo Taylor



Okay, it ain't Shakespeare - but two things strike me about it, even today. First is it's so sincere. I mean, I listen to a LOT of Christian music, especially worship music, and so much of what I hear today is so formula and sterile. There's a lot of raw energy in this song (okay, I'm old, I admit it) - and they mean it. More than anything else, above everything else, GOD RULES!


The second thing that strikes me about this is their heart for the lost. Undercover was doing pseudo-punk when there were NO Christians in that arena - and they were unashamedly trying to reach the lost. Successful? Dunno. But earnest? Absolutely. What are we doing today - musically or otherwise - to reach those who have never heard about Jesus?


I dunno - just a brief rant after a brief trip down memory lane...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Buzzword Bingo

B C Comic