What you see - and hear - and do - is what you are?

The other day I was talking to Rachel, our five-year-old, about a CD I burned for her. She's pretty rough on her CDs so we let her handle the "back up copies" and I keep the originals safely stored away. She likes her CDs long - you know, 75-80 minutes. So I had copied Jars of Clay "Redemption Songs" for her and thought I'd add some more Jars songs to the burned copy (JoC was her first "rock concert" last fall - it was great!) and the only think I had laying handy was Front Yard Luge which is a bonus CD that came out with, I think, If I Left the Zoo. Rachel asked if there were any songs on it from the concert and I said no - but then I remembered that they did "Liquid" at the show, and there's a live version of the song on FYL so I told her that there was one song called "Liquid" from the show. She looked puzzled: "What's that about?" she asked.

"It's about Jesus dying for us." I said.
"You mean, like 'Washed in the blood?'"
"Um, yeah."
"There's already a song on the CD about that..."

Well, not deep, I know. Here's the thing. She's listening. She may not know what "washed in the blood of the Lamb" really means yet (heck, I'm still learning), but she's soaking in the theology. I guess that's why we're so picky about what she listens to.

I remember laying on the floor of my bedroom with the lp liner (remember those) from the Styx Paradise Theatre album and suddenly realizing that the song "Snowblind" was all about cocaine addiction - not that it glorified it in any way... But it was a shock to my, what, 13 year old mind that I'd been listening to this song for years - that I'd had the words MEMORIZED - and yet I didn't really comprehend what I was listening to... Yeah, I still get out the Styx albums once in a while - but I know what I'm getting into now... (Pieces of Eight is my favorite - a great all-around album IMO).

So - the point. What goes in comes out, I guess. Sometimes we feel like the media police at our house - no, you girls can't watch that, no you can't listen to that...etc... But we want to be careful...

Last week we had a problem with Eliana, our two-and-a-half-year-old saying "Shut up." Where did she learn that? From videos - Disney - Kronk's New Groove and Incredibles... So, they're on the "not to watch right now" list. Rachel has no problem watching them because she knows that there's a "bad word" in those movies...

I know that there are some things that we don't allow the girls to see - "grown up stuff" we call it. But how much does it affect me? One more murder on TV, one more indescretion, one more Lord's name in vain... Where does that stuff go in my head? How do I filter it? DO I filter it?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Buzzword Bingo

B C Comic