Create...In Me...

I've been writing - fiction, songs, autobiographical stuff... I have this unquenchable urge to create right now.

I wonder if that's how God felt. If it was like, "I have to do this. I can't wait to see it all unfold."

I dunno. That's how I feel. I don't know if it's appropriate to talk about God "feeling" anyway.

But I think that's one of those strong connections to God that we have - to be in the image of God is to be creative. I know people say they aren't creative, but everyone I've ever met is creative - just in different ways.

The math whiz shares more with the piano prodigy than either of them would probably recognize. The painter and the landscaper - the bowler and the sculptor. The singer and the speaker - the mother and the doctor.

It is when I stand back and look at what people do that I see the genius and the creativity in their lives. My uncle owns a trucking company and he's a great mechanic. In fact, he can fix just about anything - even if he doesn't know what it is. He can work out how it functions. Yeah, he might think poetry is weird and artists are...well...um...nevermind. But he shares the same ability to be creative - and to create. And it's not just with tools and machines - but with words and ideas, too...

What is it to have that divine spark in us? Is it only the ability to think - to reason? I think it is more - I think it is when we imitate our God - when we create...

Tuesday night thoughts...

Comments

Jeff Kahl said…
Amen!

You should read Madeleine L'Engle's book, "Walking on Water: Reflections on Faith and Art." She basically says the same thing that you're saying. It's a great read!

Popular posts from this blog

Buzzword Bingo

B C Comic