Teachable Moments

It's Saturday morning here - I'm at a camp with about 50 youth. Check out www.time4revolution.com to see what the scoop is on this group of youth leaders in the Warren area.

Last night J talked about the church being community - that we have a tendency to think in terms of our own spiritual development - our "personal relationship with Jesus" - and how we isolate ourselves by over personalizing our faith. But we were created for community - the CHURCH is fundamentally community - not individual faith. He called it "I am WE" - it was really good stuff.

I know, maybe not your typical youth retreat subject matter. The idea of these retreats is to give the youth deep and practical stuff to go home with.

Last year I talked about poop.

Yep - I'll forever be the poop guy...

There's a need in our culture to not just entertain the kids - but to prepare them for a life of faith. It's all well and good to go bowling and have a snowball fight - that's community - that's relationship building - but we need to learn faith in community, too. I remember hearing a few years ago about "teachable moments" - you know, look for those random opportunities to make a lesson out of...well, random happenings...

But we need to set aside "teachable moments" too.

Ah well - Saturday morning ramblings....

Comments

Miss Emily said…
i sooo have a blog on here now muahahaha, I dont know the link though.... ummmm lemmee think...
Miss Emily said…
yeah I cant have more then one thing going and myspace was somthing I wasnt sposed to have in the first place sooo.... yeah
I just got rid of it all together...

Popular posts from this blog

Buzzword Bingo

B C Comic