A Couple Hours Not Wasted...

This week we're kicking off a new series: Get in the Game. This week: Monopoly:Success and Significance.

I just spent about two and a half hours working on a sermon - about two pages of a sermon, anyway, fact-checking and quoting...and I realize now that I can't use it. I need to save almost all of it for another sermon a couple months from now. Well, the truth is I COULD use it, but it'll fit way better in October, and it's really not the direction that I was planning to go this week anyway.

But it's frustrating. I mean, two and a half hours for two pages really isn't that long, I guess. I know that I'll be spending a lot more. And it's fair to ask, "If that's not the right sermon for this week, why did you keep going?" Fair question. I guess it's because I was in the middle of it - I was fitting ideas together and re-wording sentences and...it's a matter of not seeing the forest for the trees. It wasn't until I stepped back and started thinking about an introduction and adding some stories and media support to flesh it out that I looked at what I had written as a whole...and realized it wasn't right.

I got lost in the details, down a rabbit-trail my good friend Steve likes to say. What I worked on is related, but it's not right.

So, back to the drawing board, so to speak. At least I can use it in the not-too-distant future. A couple hours not wasted...

Here's a sneak peek:

Did you know that there's been a controversy around Monopoly since it was first mass-produced by Parker Brothers in 1936? I didn't. Here are some details...

The game is about "the one who dies with the most toys wins" and it looks like the one with the most toys (Hasbro, they really DO have all toys...) is living out that philosophy...

Comments

Anonymous said…
Loved the message yesterday. My husband took notes, which I have never witnessed him take a note in his life. If it took you 2.5 hours to eventually get where you got, know that it was exactly the right message at exactly the right time for more than one of us Sunday Night.
Pastor Bill said…
Thank you for the kind words - and I thank God that you were touched.

Popular posts from this blog

Buzzword Bingo

B C Comic