In the Beginning...

Bill Murray's character Bob in What About Bob? says to his psychiatrist (Richard Dryfus), "There are two kinds of people in this world: those who like Neil Diamond, and those who don't."

So, I'm one of the former - I like Neil's music - it's catchy, it's cheesy, it's classic AM radio 70s music. Now his newest album, Home Before Dark, is really good. Rick Rubin, who produced Johnny Cash's last album produced this...but I digress.

I couldn't help but think of the opening line from Neil's "Sweet Caroline" this morning (you should hear Rachel sing the horn part Bomp - bomp - bommmmmp!!!!)



"Where it began, I can't begin to knowing..."

I was thinking about the books that I've been reading lately and they seem to be about the beginnings of things. U2 by U2; The Seuss, the Whole Seuss, and Nothing but the Seuss; The Making of Star Wars; Bob Dylan Scrapbook, and I realized that I enjoy "the making of" documentaries (the making of an album, a movie, a TV show - doesn't really matter) and I'm most interested in the genesis of the projects - where do they come from? What inspires JRR Tolkien to create an entire world - cultures, peoples, languages - to tell a story? What brought Jimmy Page and Robert Plant together? (I'm not a huge Zepplin fan, but I'd read that story). What was it about Strawberry Field Children's Home that stuck with John Lennon? Why did they make TWO pilots of Gilligian's Island and Star Trek?

Inquiring minds want to know...

So, I've been reading Genesis this week. Where things begin matters. Genesis is not just about the beginning of creation - but the beginning of sin and the beginning of redemption and the beginning of God moving in the history of people - Abraham, Isaac, Jacob - the twelve brothers, Joseph's story...

Where it began? I can't begin to knowing...

Who began it, though...I've got that pegged.

But the where, the when...even the why isn't as clear. I mean, why create "this beautiful mess" if it's going to mean that Jesus has to die? And yet, that's part of the fascination of beginnings for me. Why?

What does God gain in all of this? I know, God doesn't HAVE to gain - but, again, what is the motivation?

WESTMINSTER SHORTER CATECHISM
Q. 1. What is the chief end of man?A. Man’s chief end is to glorify God, and to enjoy him forever.


Okay - God "gains" fellowship maybe. Maybe God just enjoys creating.

I designed and built the deck on my mom's house. It's massive (I WAY over-engineered it - you know, "If a 4x4 is good, a 6x6 is better. And if 6 supports are enough, ten will be better...") and it took WAAAAAY too long, but I still smile when I see it. I used to draw and paint a lot as a kid - and would enjoy not only the process of creating, but also the finished product. I write now - prose, poetry, songs - and I DO enjoy not only the process (well, actually, sometimes I DREAD the process) but the product is very gratifying.

So, can you see God looking over all of creation, leaning back and smiling, and saying, "This is VERY good." Okay, well I don't know if God leans back or smiles...but you know what I mean.

So - I'm back to the beginning. Genesis. The story of God speaking into existence all that is. And I'm enjoying the story again - "In the beginning, when God created the heavens and the earth; the earth was a formless void, and darkness covered the face of the dep, while a wind from God swept over the face of the waters." (Genesis 1:1-2)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Buzzword Bingo

B C Comic