Pray for Ray


This morning, in my usual blog surfing Monday morning start, I came across a link that led me to a link that led me to this article:

http://www.washingtonblade.com/2008/9-12/arts/feature/13258.cfm

Ray Boltz, CCM pop icon of the 80's (and one of the great mullets of all time...heh) has come out of the closet.

So, what's going to happen to all those background tracks for "Thank You" and "Watch the Lamb"? The typical church response is to throw out anything the person produced because it's somehow "tainted" - nevermind that lots of CCM artists have recorded lots of secular songs written by people who definitely have not lived a "Christian" lifestyle - THIS is seen as betrayal by a CCM artist... I remember when Doug Pinnick of Kings X came out...not that they were this huge band or anything, but everything they had done got pulled from Christian book stores and friends tossed their CDs in the trash...

So, what will happen to all those songs? Will we toss Ray's music aside, will he become a punchline for the smug and the self-righteous?

And, more importantly, what's going to happen to Ray?

I don't want to wage the theological war right now. I want to pray for Ray.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Buzzword Bingo

B C Comic