Just Because...

I was going to put this song on my YouTube channel, but I see somebody already did a couple years ago.

This is my favorite Scott Phillips song, it's called "Just Because"



Scott is from around here, and his parents go to our church. He's doing a band thing lately called Good Little Giants. They're doing cool stuff in the area, you should check them out if you get the chance.

But this isn't about Scott, or his band.

The song...

"I want a love, that looks past positions
A love just because not a love with conditions
I can search the whole world and find all kinds of love
But love that is real is love just because..."

It's a fan favorite, too. I think he often closes shows with it.

The words resonate deeply with me. The idea, the truth of the song resonates deeply with me. It hasn't always - I used to think I knew more about love than I did.

Most of our lives, we deal with transactional relationships. You give me what I want, I give you what you want. We make deals. I mean, we expect that at the grocery store, at the crosswalk, the elevator. At work, at school, in the neighborhood. So often our interactions are based only on the moment.

Friendships can be transactional - especially when we are younger. That's why they don't last, right? If there's no deeper connection, nothing beyond "what have you done for me lately"...nothing lasts...

But when I met the woman who is my wife...l got a different perspective... Here was someone who cared about me, who loves me...just because I'm me. And not for what she can "get from me..." And I was able to look at other relationships differently. My family, my parents, my sister...my family had been through a lot. But loved me...for me... I can't really offer them anything that makes them love me. In fact, I've offered them a fair amount to make them NOT love me... But they love me anyway. And Lori stays with me. Almost 22 years now. And it's been amazing. Not that I haven't given her any reason to wonder if this is all worth it or not either...

And we had children. And they love me in a way that I can't explain. That looks at me, even in my flaws and faults, and at one time could say, "I want to be like you, Daddy." And still say, "I want to spend time with you, Dad." Why?

          Just because...

It's true, we can't know the depth of the love that God has for us. His ways are not our ways, His thoughts are not our thoughts.* His love endures forever.** That's not just a song, you know... Forever. Love forever. God's love is never ending. Deeper and greater and inscrutable. We can't escape it*** (why would we want to - but we can't even if we DID want to...)

And so that love we give and receive here - that Just Because love is a reflection of God's love. It's the best reflection. I wish I could be a better mirror, I wish I could do it all the time. With everybody. At the grocery store, the crosswalk, the elevator. At work, at school, in the neighborhood. I wish I could do it all the time with my family, my friends, the people I see every day.

And then Elie and Rachel come running to hug me after a long day at work.

Just because...

          And I thank God for His never failing Just Because love...

                    And I'll try again...



Just Because...
















*Isaiah 55:8
**Psalm 136
***Psalm 139Romans 8:37-39


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Buzzword Bingo

B C Comic