Repost: Held Too Lightly

We are celebrating Communion this week. More importantly, we are taking the time to talk about Communion this week. If you search in the little box in the upper left corner, you'll see that I've written more than a few times on Communion over the past seven years of this blog's existence. And I THINK only once have I done a repost before this (Bono on Grace - way back when I did the Grace series...) and that was simply because something I had written before linked in nicely with a series I was writing at the time...

But I thought this was worth reposting.  If you're in worship this week you might hear this, or something very like it.  I don't often think I've written something worth repeating...

Held Too Lightly

"The Body of Christ broken for you on the cross..."

The words rest in my ears, familiar yet powerful.

The bread rests on my palm. It weighs nothing. I close my eyes and I can't tell it's there. I have to press down on it with my thumb to sense it.

And somewhere else in the building I hear
- children crying
- hammers pounding
- a phone ringing

Life and hurt and rebuilding and the normalcy of today goes on and on around me...and I can't feel the presence of the Body of Christ in my hand. 

I hold Christ too lightly, too easily.

I have to make myself aware.

Until...

Until I eat the juice soaked bread. 

Until I eat the Flesh and drink the Blood...

And I can't ignore it. And I can't refuse it. And I must pat attention. 

For Christ is inside me.

And I am not the same...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Buzzword Bingo

B C Comic