Ten Points

Well, it's January so I'm doing the Weight Watchers thing again. I'm counting points. I'm up to ten points for today (for most people doing WW - that's close to half their points - at my weight, it's a third of my points for the day). Not too bad, considering I just finished lunch (chili...mmmm -- gotta love foods with high fiber - well, from a points perspective...there are all kinds of down sides...heh...)

Anyway, Weight Watchers is the easiest program for me to follow because it's pretty easy for me to track how I'm doing. I can have a donut - but then I can have less "real" food... Check off the boxes for water, milk, fruits and vegetables...easy...

So, I want a points system for my spiritual life. Ten commanments -- check. Prayer -- check. Fasting -- um... I know that's just the old "works righteousness" mentality - but without some kind of framework, I get spiritually lazy. And don't talk to me about schedules. Mine is insane (yeah, everybody's is, I know...). How do I squeeze in the spiritual disciplines with the meetings, prep work, family time, etc. that is my life? Well, if I had a checklist...

But then I remember. This whole thing is about relationship -- it's not even about identity. It's about having an ongoing, living, vibrant relationship with Jesus. I was thinking yesterday. I think God lets me "slide" on my devotions on Sundays (I attend two worship services and lead a third). So, while I'm not putting in my "personal" devotion time - I'm joining in devotion within the context of community. I wonder how many points that's worth?

But, just like my wife (who loves me WAY more than I deserve) lets our relationship "be on hold" on Sundays, I think God understands... I could be way wrong in that. Next week I may completely reverse myself. But today...

So, it's not about a checklist... It's not about points... I guess I don't REALLY want it to be, either...

Mmmm, a donut sounds pretty good right now... How many points?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Buzzword Bingo

B C Comic