Michael Knows Me Too Well

I just read the comment on my last post - I was having SO much trouble with my Easter sermon - it was making me crazy. God is good - ALL THE TIME. Things came together (as they always do) but I'm still in my faith crisis all the time... I mean I don't feel all that "connected" to God right now... Wilderness time? Cleansing? Self-doubt and loathing? Well... maybe all of the above...

BUT - Michael Airgood, who knows me WAY better than he thinks he knows me, posts a comment on that post. Here's the part where I almost spit my coffee at the screen laughing:

If that doesn't work - start on your Christmas message and wait to get burned out on Christmas and start on Easter again.

That's SO me...

But, like I said, God is good ALL OF THE TIME. So, that sermon went pretty well. Good Friday went pretty well too. Though, an interesting difference - and this says a lot about me, I know.

Good Friday, while I was writing it (it really felt more like transcribing it - it was one of those sermons that seemed to write itself - I'll give all the credit for THAT to the Holy Spirit) and while I was preaching it, I kept thinking "This is good." And I know me, what that really means is, "Man *I* am doing a great job here..." because, at the end of the day, too many times, it's all about me...sigh...

But, Easter Sunday (352 people at our 11:00 service...I almost passed out...) I felt like I was really tanking...right up until the end of the second service. Then things seemed like they came together...but I really felt like it was floundering... I got more comments about the Easter sermon than the "man I look really good here" Good Friday sermon. Not sure what that says about me except that God continues to do what He does best - touch peoples' hearts, transform their lives and call them to love...

Well, enough about me. Rachel, the other day, painted a picture. She painted the word God at the top, then she painted two trees (a brown one and a purple one) and then she painted a heart. She said that it meant that God loved us so much that he created the trees, I think... It was neat to see her thinking about God when she doesn't have to. The other day (and I pulled this into my Easter sermon) she said that Easter was the best holiday of all time because if Jesus didn't die then we wouldn't have such good times. I mean, that's not the deepest of theology, but we weren't even talking God stuff or even church stuff (and, yeah, those two can be RADICALLY different things) but, again, she was thinking about God and the meaning of Easter ALL ON HER OWN (at 5 - I am SO proud of her).

Elie continues to be the most adorable 2 year old on the planet - her language skills are taking leaps and bounds and she is SO much fun to be with. She's so inquisitive. Yesterday we went to the park and they are putting in a new bridge right by the park. They started up the piledriver and she's going, "What's that sound?" and looking all around for it. She's always asking questions...it's GREAT! I love being a daddy...

Comments

Michael Airgood said…
Creepy, I know.

Popular posts from this blog

Buzzword Bingo

B C Comic