Back from Kingdom Bound 2006

Went to Kingdom Bound this year - just got back late last night. It was...exhausting. Check it out at www.kingdombound.org

Sunday night: we went to the main stage to catch the Afters - and they were finished already! I was so bummed. The festival was running ahead of schedule - ARGH! But, we caught MercyMe that night. I thought they were way better last year - though a couple of the new cuts were the outstanding songs this year (ending with So Long Self makes a lot of sense - and 3:42 was lot of fun). Word of God Speak and I Can Only Imagine were actually refreshing (I guess I've heard/played too many weak versions of those songs that it's nice to hear the original band do the songs...). My big complaint about MercyMe was that almost everything they did was a midtempo pop song - of course, that's what made So Long Self such a standout - more energy in that one song than in most of the rest of the show (plus, last year they had a great light/video show).

Monday we spent the day riding/playing games, etc. We left early so we didn't even catch Casting Crowns (heard they put on a great show, though).

Tuesday was the day the youth group came up so I spent more time doing "youth group" stuff - but I also saw more bands/speakers than any other day. We caught Rita Springer and Anadara in the worship tent - they were okay (I didn't really know the songs). Michael Franzese spoke in the worship tent and Lori really liked his message. Robin Mark played the worship tent, too, and was really good.

We slipped over to the side stages and caught Disciple (which I liked more than I thought I would) and Everyday Sunday (which was, for us, the standout concert for the week - even though they only did about 7 songs - two or three new ones, which sounded great by the way). We heard maybe a song from The Silent and liked what we heard...

Over on the main stage we caught a bit from Bob Lenz (I'm not sure I like his style...) and then Kutless. I was expecting this to be the best show of the week for me and it was only okay... I guess it didn't help that Lori and Rachel were over at the Laser Light Show instead of with me... Kutless had some timing issues and, I don't know, maybe it was the seats we had (we were in the grass behind all the seating) they just didn't seem to have the energy I was expecting.

Tuesday closed with Third Day - and they were every bit as good as I expected. They opened with the Theme from Knight Rider (why? Dunno...I guess to show off their neat light show...) While they played a few songs I wish they hadn't (I really don't like Rockstar, for example) and they didn't play some songs I wish they had (doesn't everybody want to hear Consuming Fire live?), they surprised me by pulling out Thief from the first album (it was GREAT) and their cover of Rich Mullins' Creed is always welcome. They had the most energy in their encore where they did Come Together and I can't remember what they ended with...sigh... can't find the setlist online anywhere, either... Anyway, it was a great show. Cry Out To Jesus was a standout, too...

Wednesday we got to the park kind of late and left early. It was the day that Rachel decided to try the Big Rides (beginning with the giant ferris wheel of all things) so it was a good family day at the park. I did manage to hear just a little of Seventh Day Slumber, but not enough to really matter and a bit from Vicky Beeching (Rachel was a little impressed that she was playing guitar) but then Rachel had a headache and we were all exhausted so we skipped out on the rest of the night and went home... I heard Denver and the Mile High Orchestra had a good (but too short) set and I bet Newsboys were great...maybe next year...

It was a good week, but three and a half days is a bit too much for me and way too much for Rachel (and for Lori, too, come to think of it). We actually started the week off with a free Mark Shultz concert in Bemus Point, NY on our way to KB '06. Rachel LOVES Mark Shultz, so that was definitely worth the hassle. Everyday Sunday might now be in her top five since she has all their autographs (you should have heard her sing along with Hanging On - and she got a t-shirt...)

The biggest bummer of the week was that Elie wasn't with us (three years old is WAY too young to go to Kingdom Bound, I think). She got to spend the week wtih Gramma and PapPap...but we can't wait to see her this afternoon...

Expensive, exhausting. Spending time with my family...priceless...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Buzzword Bingo

B C Comic