Something Is Wrong Here...


Robert Lupton wrote in his book Theirs Is the Kingdom:

When my goal is to change people, I subtly communicate: Something is wrong with you; I am okay. You are ignorant. You are wrong. I am right.

But, if my goal is to love people maybe I subtly communicate: Something is wrong here. I am ignorant. Are you okay?

Lupton continues:

I need the poor? For what? The question exposes my blindness. I see them as weak ones to be rescued, not as bearers of the treasures of the kingdom.

And there's that word again. The kingdom. It really is all around us. But I LOVE this statement: bearers of the treasures of the kingdom. That's who the marginalized are: I don't care if you're poor, of a different race, background, orientation, abused, abusing, hopeless, helpless...there it is. Bearers of the treasures of the kingdom

Lupton:
The community into which Christ invites us is one of mutual interdependence. We are called to mutual sharing and the discovery of gifts Christ has concealed in the unlikeliest of us.

Wow, talk about a new vision of the Kingdom of Heaven. I want to be the King. Of course, I can't be. So, how about a Duke or a Baron? But God's kingdom isn't feudal - it's equal. We're all - to really push the metaphor - serfs working a patch of soil for hte king. And if my patch is particularly fertile, whey don't I share it with someone whose isn't? Why don't I help someone else with their patch of ground? Instead, I'm much more likely to look around and see the even MORE fertile ground and say, "I wish that was mine. How can I do that?" I might even go and talk to them for tips and techniques to make my bit of hte kingdom better, brighter, prettier... Maybe I can "move up" to a nicer piece of the kingdom away from all this clay and these rocks. Wher ethe dirt is black and rich and the stones have all been pulled away... But who will pull these stones away if I won't? Who will work this land if I go off to some other place where the grass is greener, the waters...um...stiller? I know I beat that metaphor to death, but you can apply it to whatever it is that you have and are. Money, land, education, security...and on and on...

I who have so much. I who lack for nothing I need (and only some of what I want). I who have been blessed and blessed again hold and hoard my blessing like a spoiled seven-year-old demanding the biggest piece of cake - the one with the big blue flower on it - right in the middle of the cake - and I want it FIRST - NOW - GIVE IT TO ME!

I learn to give from those who give. I learn to hold on from those who hold on. Who do I look to more? I am ashamed when I see those who have so very little giving more than they can "afford."

I remember "Grandpa Joe" from one of my churches. He was in his 70s, a widower, living on Social Security and a small pension. He ushered most every week and secretly, at the back of the church where no one could see him, put his offering in the plate. He had "nothing" as the world would see it - but he would put in his 5 or 6 $20 bills into the offering plate. I don't know how the church functions without him, now. I really don't. He had "nothing" as the world saw it, but if you asked him, he had "everything" - a good, long marriage, 4 children who ALL went to church, grandchildren who loved him, he owned his home and had food and heat and a loving church family. And he had faith. Talk about a widow(er)'s mite...


I'll Give
Smalltown Poets
Yesterday i lived for me
And i was so alone as i could be
Then i saw you and how you give yourself away
And i want to live for you today
I'll give; I'll hold nothing
I'll give and I'll hold nothing back
My love is a lot like me
Wanting nothing less than everything
But i know you're the only love that's true
And only giving makes me close to you
I'll give; I'll hold nothing
I'll give and I'll hold nothing back
My hands are open, so take what you see
And i keep nothing, hold nothing back for me
I'll give; I'll hold nothing
I'll give and I'll hold nothing back

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Buzzword Bingo

B C Comic