Slow Down, You Move Too Fast

I was looking at my car (Honda Pilot) as I walked out of the church tonight and I should have taken a picture (heck if I know how to get a picture off my cell phone anyway...). You see, the back end of the Pilot is sitting really low - the front end is popped up - because I put about 10 or so boxes full of books in the back of it on Thursday and I've been riding around with them since. These are books that will fill the shelves (woo-hoo to the Jim and Larry and the Tuesday Morning Guys for getting my office together and getting extra shelves put up!!) in my office - and I INTENDED to take them in on Thursday...and on Friday...and today... But you know how it is - life gets busy, stuff comes up, and the books stay in the car.

Just like my spiritual life sometimes - I can carry around these burdens that weigh me down but I'm just too busy to do anything about it.

Life is busy (I love those "life comes at you fast" commercials...'cause it's true, and, um, they're funny...heh) and we stuff our lives more and more full until we don't even have time to breathe.

I didn't make this up, it's a phrase that I heard on a teaching tape about fifteen years ago and has stuck with me: "Too often we allow the urgent to supercede the important."

How true.

We have to slow down, take time to breathe, take time to listen, take time for what is really important - not just the urgent stuff that screams for us every minute of every day - but the really important stuff - like family, like friends, like God.

Our families and friends might yell above the noise sometimes, but God will NOT compete for our attention.

We have to get spaces in our lives for God...

"Come to me all who are weary and heavy laden, and I will give you rest."
--Jesus

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Buzzword Bingo

B C Comic