Regret

From Morguefile
“I would rather regret the things I have done than the things I have not.” -Lucille Ball


I love that quote.  How true!  How many people just sit on their hands afraid to move because...of what?  What are we so afraid of?  Yeah, don't take it the wrong way - I mean, I suppose she might have meant something bad by it, I don't know.  But here's the thing.  I want to talk about fear and risk.


I don't care what you're doing - teaching, parenting, waitressing*, working customer service**, loving your family, hanging out with your friends***, living life...  Why are we afraid to take a risk?  What's the worst thing that can happen, really?  


Yeah, I'm not talking about doing stupid things - but trying to do AMAZING things.  Walk up to someone and hand them the keys to a car and say, "You need this more than I do."  Yeah, I know, that's pretty out there.  It shouldn't be****, but I know it is.  Let's scale it down a bit.  Look at the person in line next to  you, wherever - fast food, airport, hotel, clothing store, wherever - and say, "I've got yours too." And pay for theirs.  Call up a family member just because you can.  Do someone else's job at work.  Listen to someone complain and don't join in - and then find a way to turn it around.  Heck, just plain listen to someone without talking for a few minutes.  But DO - risk -  it might not turn out the way you hope it will, but I can't believe you'll really regret much of it...
























*Since we now Google things and Friend people, I guess we can make a verb out of anything....
**Yeah, I wasn't going to make THAT a verb...
***This one gets people in a bit of trouble when abused, but run with me on this...
****A friend of mine once set a $3,000 guitar down in front of me and said, "This is yours now."  Are you freaking kidding me?  No, he wasn't.  Extravagant generosity.  It happens.  Lori and I once gave a car away.  It was AMAZING.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Buzzword Bingo

B C Comic