Bicycle Repair 101

I just helped repair Ladonna's bicycle. I love Ladonna - most people don't. But I do.

Let me explain: Ladonna is a bit of misfit here at First - which is a rich, white, uppity, formal, self-conscious congregation (okay, that might be a little harsh - but only a little). Ladonna is...well, none of those things.

I'm not sure what makes Ladonna different - but she is. She has some of the innocence of a 7 year old, she's almost certainly way smarter than I am, she reads voraciously (some really good stuff, too), but her thought processes are sometimes a mystery to me. She loves to give. She rides her bicycle all over town - with shopping bags on the handlbars and the seat (to keep them dry) and a big basket in the back to carry...well, I don't know what, but she's got a lot of stuff in there.

Most people tolerate Ladonna - a few people hold her in open contempt - but I don't think she knows or cares. That's part of what I love about her. Sometimes I have to just excuse myself and walk away from her while she's still talking - either becasue I have something that I have to do (especially true on Sunday mornings) or because I she's simply lost me in her monologue. Yet she is so gracious about that (I think it happens to her a lot). And that's part of what I love about her.

So, she stopped in the church today - but the office was closed. She was wondering if anyone could help her fix her bicycle - the new rack she had on the back was rubbing against the tires. I think she was hoping that Bob would be here (our custodian), I'm not sure. One thing I do know - she sees the church as a place where help can be found. So, I did my best. We fixed it so that it won't rub against the tires and put her big basket back on the back and peddalled away.

Ladonna doesn't realize that she doesn't belong here at First - that somehow she doesn't fit in. And that's the biggest reason that I can say I love Ladonna. Because she (and a few others here at First) give me hope for this congregation. SOMEHOW - Ladonna has seen in this congregation the love and acceptance and grace of Christ that touches her - and keeps her coming back. We don't pay her rent or give her food or any of those potentially "artificial" reasons that people have for staying attached to a church that is so different than they are - she has found the face of Christ here. And sometimes, when I think about how beautiful that is, I cry.

And I wish I could see Him here better...

I DO need new glasses... I need glasses like Ladonna wears...

Lord, let me see You...

Comments

Michael Airgood said…
Someday, when you are old (and no longer at risk of being fired by your church) this blog should be an article in the interlink. I cried reading this blog. And it is only a little harsh. Thank you.

Popular posts from this blog

Buzzword Bingo

B C Comic