Nets and Wings

Michael wrote on his blog the other day that he was at college building nets. I guess he means safety nets. You know, get the training, the networking going so that you can have some kind of security in the future. Get the education so that you can make sure you get a good job and have security in your future.

I talk to a lot of people - a lot of Christian people - who have more faith in their pensions and bank accounts than they have in God. They get the reports, the juggle "should I put in more, should I move this to a better fund..." whatever... They want to make sure that they can provide for themselves in the future...

Now, I have nothing against pensions - I have one, thank you very much... But I don't know how much is in it - I don't know if it will "be enough" to provide for us when we are old(er...heh). But I know one thing - we're going to be in the hands of the One who has more than enough to provide our every need...

If life is a highwire act (why else would you need a safety net) - then I think that some of us build nets - and some of us grow wings. Some of us trust in what we can see below us, some of us trust in the one who lifts us up. Some of us beleive we can save ourselves, some of us believe that we can trust in God to save us - and provide for us - and even spread our wings and fly.

Michael isn't building nets - he won't ever need them - he's growing wings - and he's learning to fly...

I remember a book I read once called Pigs Don't Fly. The book followed a young woman who had rescued a freakish pig - a little pig with vestigal wings... But, as it turned out, the "pig" was a baby dragon - and dragons DO fly. So, for every person who says, "You can't fly" the day will come when they will look up and see that in the hands of God you are far greater and far more powerful than they ever suspected.

I think I'm ready to fly, too. My wings haven't been used much - and maybe I'll look a little awkward and a little uncertain - but I know that even if "my" wings don't hold me, God's Ruach (wind/spirit/breath) will lift me up... Because God has promised to be our everything...

I don't need nets...I only need God...

I wrote a song once - and all I remember is the chorus. It went like this:

I know you, and I love you
And I know that you believe
I know you, and I love you
I will give you all you need...

I believe God will, too...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Buzzword Bingo

B C Comic