A Short Excursus

Heh - little oxymoron for a Wed. morning...

Anyway, I've been away for a week plus on a mission trip - a work camp in Pittsburgh, PA called "The Pittsburgh Project." http://www.pittsburghproject.org I got to re-roof two porches and build a deck extension on the back porch of a house, as well as do some painting. That was the physical labor we did that week. Spiritually, I finally had a homeowner who was open and appreciative and talked about her faith. Mrs. Gray was wonderful - and she, and the staff at the project, encouraged the work the kids did last week (even though we made some mistakes - and some were my fault and I knew better and yet I goofed up anyway...sigh...). The work wasn't perfect...but what is neat about the project is that if you get the right combination of kids, adult worksite leaders and homeonwer, the work becomes more than just a roof on a porch - it becomes an expression of love and faith.

So, we had a good week.

I've been reading Brian Maclaren's The Secret Message of Jesus and Christian Sharen's One Step Closer: Why U2 Matters to those Seeking God. Both these books are postmodern, no doubt about that. Both authors are inclusive, no doubt about that. I've also rediscovered Caedmon Call's Share the Well CD, which is a call for justice for the two-thirds world...

Call me liberal (go ahead, I can take it) but I can't find anything wrong with the arguements about Jesus' message and what the Kingdom of God ought to be (and what it ISN'T today). At Pittsburgh Project, during our quiet times and during the message time of worship we encountered four familar Bible passages: The woman caught in adultery, Zaccheus, the Garesene demoniac, and Peter at the end of the Gospel of John ("Do you love me more than these?"). Several of the quiet time devotionals were taken from Ken Gire's Intimate Moments with the Savior, which I think must be an incredible book (I have to track it down, now). During the message time, Saleem Ghubril, the director of the Project spoke about these familar passages and the theme of each message, and the theme of the week for us was: "There's a person inside."

So, I'm coming to a whole new view of the Kingdome of God that is centered on that very line, "There's a person inside." What did Jesus worry aobut? Perfect doctrine? Flawless application of gifts? No - Jesus' primary concern was the person inside. How can I minister to the person inside.

A friend looked over the Maclaren book and said, "Yeah, but where's the line? I mean, he talks about how Jesus is all about transformation and forgiveness, but forgiveness from what? Does he ever draw the line?" (That's a paraphrase of the conversation, but, I believe, in the spirit of what was asked - if not, and you read this...well, feel free to correct me). It's a valid question, I think, and one that Maclaren and Sharen and the hundreds of other writers who are pushing the "inclusive" button don't address very well.

But...

However...

Lines drawn exclude. It is that simple. I am coming to the point that I will welcome anyone - and I mean ANYONE - into the fellowship of worship - including communion. I will encourage and welcome anyone to be involved in the life of the church - worship, administrative, volunteer...

But...

However...

I'm not sure where I stand on membership. I mean, transformation needs to and does happen during worship and Bible study and in voluteering and, dare I say it, even while serving on the Trustees Committee...

But...

However...

Does there have to be a line for membership? I mean for FULL membership? And what about ordination?

Sigh... We've come a long way - and we have so far yet to go...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Buzzword Bingo

B C Comic