Jesus on the Cross

"Do you want a picture of Jesus in the manger or Jesus on the cross," asked Rachel, flipping through a children's Bible.

"Jesus on the cross," said Elie, "and up close."

That was the conversation in the seat behind me on the way back to the office after lunch. Immediately I thought of the Apostle Paul ('cause that's what I do...):

When I came to you, brothers and sisters, I did not come proclaiming the mystery of God to you in lofty words or wisdom. For I decided to know nothing among you except Jesus Christ, and him crucified. (I Corinthians 2:1-2, NRSV)

Granted, it was a children's Bible, so the picture wasn't the blood and anguish of The Passion of the Christ. Yet, the conversation went on:

"Why are his eyes closed?" she asked.

Rachel said, "Because he died. They nailed him to the cross and he died."

Elie was quiet for a minute or so. "How does he open his eyes? How do the nails come out so he can open his eyes?"

"God made him alive again," I said. Rachel turned to the Easter story in the Bible.

Elie said, "He isn't in the cave anymore?"

"No," Rachel said, "He was made alive again by God."

"So he's not in the cave anymore."

"Right."

I want to know nothing but Christ, and him crucified... Because that's the point of salvation. And the entrance to the greatest story ever told...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Buzzword Bingo

B C Comic