Would Anyone Notice?

From Morguefile, edited
Because of the post from last night  I was thinking about this question:

"If our church burned down tomorrow, would the community miss us?"

One of our youth leaders asked that question when she came back from a conference.  I think the question might have come out of the conference, I'm not sure.  But it's a good question.

Now, for the record, I never* want a church to burn down.  It's a rhetorical question.**

But think about the implications.  What would be missed if your church burned down tomorrow.  Oh, people would talk about it of course.  But would there be a George-Bailey-passing-the-hat kind of community save the church movement?***  Because the church would be so missed by the community that if it's NOT there, the community ceases to be the community.  Is the church the place of love, salvation, hope, and joy that the people in the community look to?

So what about your church?  If it was gone tomorrow, would anybody miss it?











*Never, never, never, ever, never.  I mean never.


**Really, I have to say that.  My co-pastor asked the question to foster discussion about mission and outreach at a church board meeting and now has been accused of wanting to burn that church down.  Seriously.  Sometimes I wonder what people think... Of course, I misconstrue things sometimes too... but, really?


***It's a Wonderful Life, you know?  No?  Watch this Town Saves George, or better yet, buy the movie and watch the whole thing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Buzzword Bingo

B C Comic