Weird Sound

From web
I was just listening to Sufjan Stevens on Pandora Radio (my Gungor station) singing "Come Thou Fount" (from the Friday Night Lights soundtrack no less).  At the end he goes into an A Capella verse with lots of harmony - but the harmonies are all just a touch behind the melody.

Why?

It sounds...weird.  I mean, really, really odd to my ears. I wonder if it's not live people but processed harmonies and the box or plug-in has to take half a second to process what chord to make the harmonies?  I don't know... There was just something unsettling about it to me.  It's probably just me, though.

But is that normal?  Is that the way harmonies are supposed to be?  Or is that something new?  Or just the cool effect Sufjan was going for?  Does it matter?  No...just wondering out loud...

It was a great song, great arrangement...just caught me at an odd moment.

Check out Sufjan Stevens, by the way - some pretty good music...maybe an acquired taste, though...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Buzzword Bingo

B C Comic