Review (Sort of...) of Needtobreathe

Went to see Needtobreathe a week + ago.  Lori and I took the girls - it was the first "real" concert all four of us have gone to.  As a family experience it was great.  We went to Grill 36*, that would be Jerome Bettis' restaurant in Pittsburgh.  I had, get this, a bacon cheeseburger inside two, yes two, grilled cheese sandwiches.

Anyway, the show.  Let me talk briefly about the venue.  Stage AE - the first time I've been there (it's new).  It was general admission, standing.  We called ahead to see if there was any seating and were told that there were bleachers in the back.  Googling Stage AE turned up the same fact so we were hoping that by getting there early we could snag some bleachers.  Of course when we get there we're informed that they're not available...sigh...  So we stood against this "fence" that separated the slight upper level from the lower floor.  We were maybe 50 feet back from the stage - but at about stage level, maybe a bit lower.  If I have to stand for three or so hours I'll take leaning on a three foot high metal fence any time... So, venue gets a C+...

Sound was awesome.  Clear, loud, amazing.  The lows were punchy but not muddy, the vocals were clear - the guitars and keys were great.  I can't say enough about the sound - and that's as much the venue as the sound company, I suppose, so let's give the venue a B- now...

Opener was Ben Rector.  I knew some of his stuff from my needtobreathe Pandora radio channel.  I don't always like opening acts when I don't know the music - especially when it's a style I don't really care for - but, again, the sound was so clear - I could hear every note, every word - the girlie high "oooos" from the guys singing backups on one of the openers.  Surprise song was Whitney Houston's "I Wanna Dance With Somebody" which was actually a credible version of the song - and, of course, we all sang along.  Rector's opening song's had the most energy, in my opinion, so even though he was trying to energize the crowd and get us ready for the headliner, the last couple of songs had less punch than the first couple songs.

But...

We were still pretty pumped to see Needtobreathe.  I will say the crowd was really ready for the band.  In fact, it was a great "all ages" crowd that night.  Maybe 1000 people, 1500 maybe it's hard to tell.  The place was full but not packed - but the crowd was loud - and people knew the songs.  We got in line an hour or so before the doors opened - and there were maybe 50 people in front of us so we were pretty free to stand where we wanted to.  We were pretty near the sound board (often the best mixed spot in the house, so...).

They had a bit of a "theatrical" intro - which was okay - which spelled out "The Reckoning" on the giant old typewriter keys that forms the backdrop for the show (lighted - cool effect).  Then they launched into "Ooos and Ahs" which, on the album is a good song but live absolutely rocked and set the tone for the rest of the show.

As an aside, Elie had said she was going to go out to the car during the show - she didn't really care for the opener - but when the lights started flashing and the songs she knew started playing - she stayed for the whole show and loved it.  I think I watched her face during the first three or so songs as much as I watched the band.

Every song was a highlight - "Devil's Been Talkin'", "The Outsiders", "Washed By The Water", "Lay 'Em Down", "Drive All Night,"  the acoustic encore "Something Beautiful" & "Slumber."  One of the really cool moments was when Bo and Bear came out with mandolin and acoustic and started "More Time" and "A Place Only You Can Go" as duets (the band kicked in later).  Awesome moments...

Amazing show.  In fact, as we were leaving, Lori said to me, "I want to see them again.  I mean, like tomorrow night, again."

Me too.

Yeah, it was that good.

Here's "More Time"











*Um...weirdest men's room I've been in...but that might be another post....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Buzzword Bingo

B C Comic