Why I Blog

Found on the internet
Two weeks ago my friend Aaron posted a blog titled Why I Blog and in the comments I said I'd post a Why I Blog...um blog post... wow, that felt really circular...

Anyway, I've been asked this question a couple times over the, lemme check, heh cool - I really didn't plan this - EXACTLY seven years I've been doing this blog (first post).

I started this blog because I thought it would be cool.  Yeah, that was about the only reason.  I didn't really think I had anything to say to the world, I really didn't expect hundreds - or even dozens - of people to flock to my little corner of the web.  I just thought this would be a little window on my life.

Here's why I keep doing it:

1.  I can keep track of some of the things that are important to me.  From church stuff to family stuff to little insights into who I am - when I reread posts I remember what led to the writing.  And I can read a post like this and be transported back to another moment in my life.  Or posts like this that maybe nobody else cares about but I want to remember...

2.  I come back here to go to other people's sites.  Okay, that might sound stupid, but I use my blog as my gateway to Aaron's blog, Michael's two blogs, Seth Godin's, well, basically the top ten or twelve links on the right side there.  Yeah, I could organize some bookmarks - but this was way easier :) I have to update that, too, 'cause there's a few other sites I go to regularly that I need to put on the list...

3.  A blog post gives me the opportunity to think through things sometimes in ways that I don't always have the time or space to do otherwise.  I like to think about creativity and leadership and church stuff and with my schedule I don't have a lot of places to talk through those things.  So I get to here.  Sometimes it makes more sense than other times...but that's the web...

4.  I get to share what I care about - and only what I care about.  Nobody puts any limits on what goes into this blog - except me and the Holy Spirit (and I don't always listen as well as I should to the Holy Spirit).  This is where I can write about what I care about - Star Wars - nerd stuff - going to Catalyst - reading a book - something Rachel says - a moment with Lori - a stupid sign I saw.  This is similar to #1, I know, but what I mean here is just that the content here is all me.  It really is kind of a window into my life - good, bad, boring.  And the beauty of it is - you don't have to read the post if you don't care about it (and now that Google has changed the way it does the "dashboard" I know how infrequently this little blog gets accessed).

There's probably other reasons.  It's funny - I'm not as good at reflecting as I am at doing.  So, I'm not as good at telling you why I'm doing what I'm doing...as I am at, um, doing what I'm doing...  Does that even make sense?  Somebody said to me that I'd make a good existentialist - if they weren't all whacked out, that is :)  I guess that's...um...true? :)

Comments

Aaron said…
Great post Bill. I know I've told you this before, but I love reading your blog.
Pastor Bill said…
Yep - and I love reading yours, too Aaron. Thanks.

Popular posts from this blog

Buzzword Bingo

B C Comic