Authorized Guitar Repair

I have a beautiful Taylor acoustic guitar that needs repaired. I think it's a simple repair, and if it wasn't an oscenely expensive instrument, I would just do the work myself happily and deal with any flaws in the workmanship I might incur. No, I would even do repairs myself on my really Fender Strat Hardtail. I don't know if it's some Taylor mistique or what - but they only work through "authroized repair centers" and that kind of freaks me out - and there's none nearby (the closest appears to be in the Philadelphia area).

So I contact two authorized repair centers - okay, they're just individuals who know what they're doing around Taylor guitars ("center" makes it sound like some kind of factory or something - not some shmoe's garage). So, anyway, I get two calls back very quickly.


The first guy says definitely send it to me, I'll probably have to adjust the neck and the setup as well as replace the electronics and the tuners (the last two being the issue for me - but, since I have a problem with my guitar, I clearly don't know how to take care of a guitar and he assumes - said it to my face - that he'll have to make it right...). Yeah, he sounded a little smug and superior. Couple hundred dollars plus shipping both ways.


Second call (well, email actually) says, well let me quote it:


Bill, I would be happy to help you, however, there is probably a Taylor warranty center closer to you. Taylor list them by state on their website. The issues you are describing,,,tuner replacement and battery housing replacement are extremely easy. The cost to ship it would exceed the labor to correct. Tuners are available directly thru Taylors website and their warranty centers, such as myself, stock the battery compartments.


Yeah, okay - so this sounds like maybe a hundred bucks or so - I checked on Taylor's website and the tuners are 50-80 bucks for a whole set - and I hear that Taylor has been having trouble with the ebony buttons so I might be able to weasel a couple of those for free or really cheap...


Quick, respectful response.


Guess which one I'm going with.


Yeah, but it's not just because the guy on the phone talked to me like I was some kind of monster who was ruining a delicate instrument - it's because I really do think I can do this - the warranty is up anyway - and, well, I've said it before - I'm cheap (yeah, this obscenely expensive guitar - it was a gift - that I am so not worthy of playing - hey, maybe the guy on the phone was right...but if I send it to him he might not give it back until I've learned to play Lydian Diminished Scales...heh, I can't even play diminished chords...).


So, I get to be an unauthorized guitar repair center...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Buzzword Bingo

B C Comic