Little Things Mean...well, a lot I guess...

I swear this was just in my email box from a yahoo group that I subscribe to.

I second the recommendation on OpenOffice. I have a license for MS Office Professional 2003 (got a discount through an employer, $25!), but have OpenOffice installed on all my PCs (including work laptop). Got my kids using it and it does 100% of what the average user needs.
Best part is not having to deal with Micro$oft and their format issues.


That one Windows patch last fall prevented me from opening Office 2003 files ... with Office 2003 ...

No kidding, that last line is the funniest thing I've heard today. Probably 'cause I've been there, you know?

Okay, I have a kind of tolerate/hate relationship with Microsoft products - but they're ubiquitous (heh - I think Rachel knows what that word means now...I love that I can give my kids frighteningly inappropriate for their age vocabularies - Elie and I were working on capricious a couple weeks ago - sigh, but it didn't stick...)

So, I was saying...oh, yeah - Microsoft. Well, this post isn't really about Microsoft (favorite oxymoron? Microsoft Works...heh) - but inspired by that last line of the quote.

Clearly, something in the patch made the program not work like it's supposed to. It's probably something simple, but still.

Have you ever made a small change and had it snowball into something quite unexpected? Oh, it can be something good or bad... But we usually notice the bad.

We instituted a policy with the tech stuff at the church that if any changes are going to be made that affect the normal set up of equipment (like switiching from mono to stereo for the sound system) that it really has to be approved. You see, what can happen is I can decide one day that things would work better if they were routed THIS way - and not tell anybody I changed how the cables are plugged in - and then when it gets set up next week, well, there's no sound - and it might take three minutes or two hours to track it down. And that's not good (especially since many of our set ups at church are handled by volunteers).

So this is about little changes - and big consequences.

What do I need to change? Man, the list goes on and on. More exercise and better eating top the list for me. And I wonder what that would do... What are the unexpected effects? Would I sleep better? Would I have more energy? Yeah, probably. But the unexpected? Dunno (hence the term "unexpected", helloooooooo).

Well, I guess it was the Bishop that got me thinking about that. Today was the Bishop's day on the Pittsburgh District. I'll have more on that tomorrow, probably. Pretty good stuff (I'm sure he's glad I approve - heh).

My friend and former DS Bob said that he was glad that I finally got my U2 CD - it was good to see you Bob.

Oh, have I mentioned the U2 CD? Heh, just kidding. It's good stuff.

Enough for tonight.

Blessings.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Buzzword Bingo

B C Comic