Holy Week - Tuesday

So, easier I said would be the parable of the fig tree (Yodaspeak? It's late, okay?)

So, Jesus cursed this fig tree on Monday - went to the Temple, shook things up a bit (Mr. Understatement) and went back to Bethany.

On Tuesday, on his way back in to Jerusalem - where he was going to teach - they passed the tree, and now it had whithered. And Jesus gives a saying about faith
"Have faith in God...I tell you the truth, if anyone says to this mountain, 'Go, throw yourself into the sea,' and does not doubt in his heart but believes that what he says will happen, it will be done for him. Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours. And when you stand praying, if you hold anything against anyone, forgive him, so that your Father in heave may forgive you your sins." (Mark 11:22-26)

So I think I would have found that answer a little frustrating (just like Jesus' statement to the Greeks in yesterday's post). I mean, okay - this could be about the power of prayer and Jesus might be saying, Look, if in faith I could whither that tree, imagine what you can REALLY do with prayer.

But, of course, it's deeper than that.

As Jesus is leaving the Temple (Luke 13:28-31) he says, "Now learn this lesson from the fig tree: As soon as its twigs get tender and its leaves come out, you know that summer is near. Even so, when you see these things happening, you know that it is near, right at the door. I tell you the truth, this generation will certainly not pass away until all these things have happened. Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away." (echoed in Luke 21:29ff)

Um...clearer?

Well, yes. The point is...there's more than one point. It is about faith - and faithfulness. It is also about watching the times and being prepared for the Day of the Lord. It's ALSO about the fact that Jerusalem is a barren fig tree...and it will be cut down and thrown into the fire (Luke 13:6-9).

And probably more.

I'm intrigued by how much Jesus teaches this week - publicly (here in Mark it's a couple chapters - check out Matthew and Luke, too) and in private (what, like 3 or 4 chapters of John).

And I'm struck with a question: If I knew it was probably my last week on earth, what would I do and say?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Buzzword Bingo

B C Comic