I Probably Shouldn't Tell You This, But...

There's a whole litany of things that pastors shouldn't hear - and we self select out of a lot of them.  Dirty jokes -  or sexual talk in general - we shouldn't really listen to very negative talk and so on.  But one kind of talk is hard to avoid, because it masks itself so well.

Gossip.

I hate it.  But it comes at me so fast and so well hidden, that sometimes I'm repeating it before I realize it's gossip.

No, really.  Here's what I mean.

"Pastor, you really need to pray for Edna***, she's having a really hard time with her husband right now..." and on come the so called details.  And, no I might not repeat the details, but I might pass on that we need to pray for Edna.  Which might be a surprise to some people.

Especially Edna.

Who is NOT having trouble in her marriage right now, thank you very much, but is now having a problem with her pastor.

So, it's easy.  Now, I really try to guard against it.  But it happens (and no, this wasn't prompted by anything in my life right now - but by a quick article on sermoncentral that I realized the whole article was really just saying don't listen to gossip...heh) and it's insidious in the church.

It can be a mindset.  "Did you hear what happened at the post office the other day?"  That can be a teaser line for a juicy bit of gossip.  We live in a society of gossip.  Our news programs thrive on the mindset.  Our lives are built around it in some ways...which is sad.

And it's one thing I really never need to hear.

Facts.  Just give me the facts.  The truth.  And...try not to embellish it this time...





***I don't think I've ever had an Edna in any church that I've served - at least not an Edna I've known personally.  So, if there's and Edna that knows me, no, this isn't really about you...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Buzzword Bingo

B C Comic