Race To Get There

I was over in Tidioute the other day for office hours and did some visiting and some work around the church.  When it was time to come home, though, I flew down the road to get home.  I knew that I was going to get home about the same time as the girls were going to get off the bus, and I knew that Lori was going to be at the house and I just couldn't wait to get there and see the three people I love more than anybody in the world.  So, yes, I pushed the car a bit above the speed limit a time or two (or three of four) but I was so excited to see my family - I just couldn't wait.  I hadn't seen them for HOURS.  It was important - urgent - I HAD to get home.

Yeah, you probably know where this is going, right?

That night I had a meeting at church.

Was I as excited to get there?  Did I break any speed limits to get to the meeting?  Was I as excited to see those people - who are also my family - who I also love (sorry, not quite the same way or not quite "as much" - but I do still love you very much) - and some who I hadn't seen in DAYS or even a WEEK?

Um...

Truth is, I was a little excited to go to the meeting.  And I DID want to see these people.  I do love them and I do want to meet with them. I NEVER dread the meetings we have because I don't see them as meetings - but as connections, opportunities, points of contact between me and you - especially the "yous" that I don't get to talk to very much through the week otherwise.

When we start to have meetings just because we have to have a meeting...well, it's time to stop having the meetings, right?  And the first symptom of that is the dread in the pit of the stomach that says, "I don't want to go.  I wish I was at the dentist's office instead..."  Yeah, I've been to those meetings too...

And it's a choice I make.  Every time.  I go early to every meeting, class, worship, everything if I can*.  Because being there matters to me - and you being there matters to me.  'Cause I know something's going to happen.  Because God is there...



*I have kids, I have problems, I get sick too, I get it - sometimes life gets in the way.  But if it really matters to me, I'll show up.  On time.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Buzzword Bingo

B C Comic