E-Textbooks: Addendum

 source 
A little while ago I posted that e-readers should replace textbooks and gave a few reasons.  Let me summarize...or, rather, quote (from the original post):
  • weight: my kids, especially Rachel, carry sometimes 30 lbs of books home from school
  • memory issues: ever forget your book at school?  Doesn't happen with e-reader apps for the home computer -and the tablet, right?  No more "I didn't do my homework because I left my book at school."
  • hyperlink: the aforementioned linking of definitions to words is the tip of the iceberg - think about how you can link all kind of information - within the book and online - the danger is that it's unlimited...how DO you limit it?
  • easy update: you need to update the history textbooks (say, you discover that the book says the War of 1612, instead of the War of 1812, if it covers wars...wait, that's a different post), or when you want to get the newest edition - heck, a new update every year? no storage/disposal problem AND
  • cost: ebooks are ridiculously cheap to produce* in comparison to traditional textbooks - no printing, warehousing or shipping costs...

THE ADDENDUM:
I was having a conversation with some friends last Sunday.  One of them teaches at an online university and all their textbooks are ebooks now.  Her husband is an administrator at a local school and we were talking about the benefits of etextbooks and I made my pitch (basically the above) but they pointed out that I missed a HUGE benefit to ebooks on an ereader:



  • highlighting and note taking: you can highlight the ebook, take digital notes, do lots of stuff in the digital domain that you simply wouldn't be able to do in a physical book (without having to pay those dreaded end of year fines for the condition of the book - do they still do that?).



How awesome is that?  

I'm even more convinced...



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Goodbye, Farewell

Back from Innovate 2007 Inspired

When (the Trivially) Wrong Is Right...