Manning Monday: Revived*

From Morguefile
I ran across a great quote from Brennan Manning.  Not enough to TRULY resurrect Manning Monday, but a bit of an Off Broadway Revival, if you will...

Anyway, here's the quote:

"We deem ourselves too inconsiderable to be used even by a God capable of miracles with no more than mud and spit.  And thus our false humility shackles an otherwise omnipotent God."**

Not the kind of false humility I'm used to hearing and reading about.  Usually it's the, "No, I know I'm awesome but I'm going to sort of pretend I don't think I am" kind of thing that we're used to seeing postured by people in all shapes and sizes.  National politicians and professional athletes to garage band heroes and beer-belly softball league pitchers.

But that's not what Manning is talking about.  He's talking about a double humility, I think.  First, that I am too small, too worthless for God to be able to use, too little, too frail.  But also that God is too little to use me.  No, he doesn't explicitly state that...but isn't it there?  What else could it mean?  God isn't big enough, powerful enough, omnipotent enough to use me?  How stupid is that?  The only conclusion that I can draw from that is not that we think too little of ourselves, but that we think too little of God.

The God who spoke...and everything that is, became....is not enough?

How small of me...

Oh, ye of little faith...















*Well, sort of....
** From Abba's Child

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Buzzword Bingo

B C Comic