Bad Shaving

I nicked myself shaving yesterday. Happens every once in a while, and I know it's no big deal. But it is annoying. I've been shaving for about 2/3rds of my life - every day for 25 or so years (well, there was a beard briefly in college - and the occasional vacation scruff...but just about every day) so that's like 9000 times... It's a daily routine, it's ingrained in who I am. I still mess it up. Go figure. And shaving isn't complicated.

So, is it any wonder that I still mess up being a dad, a husband, a pastor, a Christian from time to time? I mean, that's complicated stuff - even if it is the ingrained and daily - I'm still pretty capable of messing it up.

No, nothing happened. No deep confessions. No big problems. Just a little observation born of a tiny red spot on my cheek yesterday morning.

The beauty of my family and my God is that we live in grace. Yeah, I mess things up in small ways all the time (like a little nick when shaving) and once in a while in big ways but we do forgiveness pretty well at my house. Bono said, in U2 by U2, words to the effect of, "I'm good at apology songs. I have to be." Something like that. But I get it.

So - it's a grace thing. And that's what God is all about.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Buzzword Bingo

B C Comic