Oh ****!

I had an "Oh Crap!"** moment this morning.

My friend Aaron posted this blog post which linked to this blog post.

Yeah, it's Monday morning. My blog surfing hour of the week. Anyway, that "Stuff Christians Like" post was fine - I was going along with the guy's self-deprecation for not writing to his sponsored kids in Africa. Yeah, sounds like a good idea, you really should do that guy. You're right to feel guilty.

But then he brought God into it. Not even subtly. I mean, at least he could offer me an escape clause, after all - I was agreeing with him that HE was wrong in how he wasn't giving his TIME to God.

But...then it wasn't just about him.

In 2 Samuel 24, David wants to build an altar to God on the threshing floor of a guy named Araunah the Jebusite. Araunah, possessing perhaps the only obscure Biblical name none of my friends have used for their kids, offers to give David the threshing floor for free. David's response is instant and unfortunate:

"No, I insist on paying you for it. I will not sacrifice to the Lord my God burnt offerings that cost me nothing."

And now I have to face it. I too often offer God that which costs me nothing.

And in my heart I said, "Oh Crap..." because it wasn't just about some other guy and his relationship with God anymore... And with that realization has to come action - and with action, real change in my heart...

** It's funny that I hesitated writing that. If you were in my office this morning I would have just told you I had an oh crap moment - but I thought, for just a second, will someone be offended by seeing the word crap in my blog and then I thought, well, I say it all the freaking time...and then I thought, will someone be offended that I say freaking? And then I thought, if you've read this far, you really need to spend less time in blogland...

Comments

Aaron said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Aaron said…
That blog post challenged me huge. To follow that up though, later that week I read the same thought with the same scripture in a book I'm reading. So apparently God wants me to think about what my faith FREAKING costs me.

I love that you qualified CRAP.

Popular posts from this blog

Buzzword Bingo

B C Comic