We've been listening to a lot of old music (heh - you know, from the 80s) because I'm loading up my iPod. I pulled out some old Kenny Marks a couple weeks ago because Lori asked me if we had one of his songs - "White Dress."

She wore a white dress
And a rainbow ribbon in her hair
One candle burns on a birthday cake
Mom and dad are there
Wishing they could be like her without a care
She wore a pink dress
To her school on her very first day
Mom and dad drove here there and they cried
As they drove away
Tears for her, but more tears for yesterday
She wore a blue dress
And rode her bike to the corner store
Daddy said now he's leaving for good
And he slammed the door
No goodbyes, no more daddy anymore
Well, as she grew up, they grew apart
It'll never be the same
And they watch love go with a heavy heart
And they wonder who's to blame
"It's not your fault daddy went away
He went walking out the door
And it's not your fault daddy had to say
He didn't love me any more."
She wore a red dress
And her momma's single strand of pearls
Dressed and ready for the senior prom
What a lovely girl
And her momma said,
"You're a woman now and it's time I say
A certain thing or two
Have the time of your life and remember dear
I'm so very proud of you."
It's not your fault daddy went away
There was nothing you could do
And please believe me when I say
There's nothing wrong with you
She wore a white dress
One candle burns as it did before
Baby smiles at the sad old man
Standing at the door
He said,
"I don't know what I ever left here for."
"Well I can't stay long but I want to say
A certain thing or two
Since I've been gone my world's been gray
But the color's stayed with you."
And before he left he laid a gift
On baby's little bed
Inside they found a rainbow dress
Of white, pink, blue and red
Of white, pink, blue and red.

Okay, it's kind of...sappy? I don't know, but I really like it. It's got a great piano part and...well, I guess I just really like moody story songs.

So, Elie heard the song the other day and she started to cry - "No goodbyes, no more Daddy anymore..." We explained that it's just a story - those aren't real people in the song and that it won't ever happen to us...

But now she's still trying to make sense of the song. "Daddy, how could the daddy know all that stuff if he went away? So, really he just stayed, didn't he?" She thought for a minute. "Or, maybe he left at the end of the song."

She comes up with some pretty elaborate schemes to try to understand this mommy, daddy and daughter story - because it is so outside her realm of experience. So she's trying to make sense of the whole story.

And I think that sometimes we do that kind of thing when God is moving in someone's life. If it's outside our frame of reference - if it's beyond our experience, well, we don't understand it and it's pretty easy to begin fabricating a reality based on our own and superimposing it on someone else.

Ah, then again I could be wrong...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Buzzword Bingo

B C Comic