The Rumors of My Demise...

Yeah I've been away from blogging. I have a reason - someone told me they read it.

I didn't say I had a GOOD reason.

I just realized that whenever someone says to me something about following my blog...I stop blogging (last time it was only about six weeks - November 2007-January 2008) but this time it's been a struggle since the fall sometime.

Why? Dunno - I'm weird, I guess. Yeah, that's a revelation to all of you who really know me.

I think it's the need to produce something interesting. When I started this whole blog thing, it was for me - and for my family. Stuff I thought and cared about. But I didn't really expect anybody to really read it, you know?

Before I came to Christ UMC someone asked me why I blog... And I still didn't have a good answer. I said something about making the connection between Sunday and weekdays - the continued connection of community...and, I don't remember.

I still don't know why I blog (when I do). But I'm getting a handle on why I DON'T blog. And I don't like it.

So, in an effort to get back to where I started...well, you might not get a lot of insights (did you ever?) but I'll be blogging more regularly.

Right now I'm working with a mom of a college-aged girl who is afraid that her daughter is falling into a cult at her campus. The problem is that the group really looks Christian from the outside - listening to the sermons that are posted online, checking the bios of the ministers, reading their "we believe" section. But their methods seem a little...draconian (okay, maybe not the perfect adjective...but close):

  • 2-3 hours almost every day of programmed activities (mandatory)
  • when she asked if she had to believe everything the ministry taught it was absolutely: there is no place for discussion of dissent
  • she is absolutely forbidden to date
  • some of her friends are "not christian enough"
  • she's "too close" to her family

And there are other things. I get the rules - I understand the no dating thing (don't agree with it, but that's another isse) and, sure, having lots of opportunities for prayer and worship are really important (mandatory? hmmm...). I guess the biggest hangup I have (and that's my personality, I suppose) is the "don't dare question the leaders" attitude. This isn't just the girl's perspective. When she asked the leader if she was allowed to not believe everything the ministry taught, the answer was a vehement NO! You have to believe it all. Reminds me of some of the pre-trib, post-trib, eschatological debates that churches have had in the past - you must have a pre-tribulation view of the rapture to be a leader in this church. Really? Why? Because that's the right way to believe and if you don't...blah, blah... Is it about salvation? No? Then, really, do we have to have this debate (or the whole guitars in church thing...or, well, you know the drill).

So what do I say? A mom can't decide for her daughter, right? But she's worried. Fortunately, her daughter is listening to mom, treading carefully. And we're praying for discernment.

And waiting.

So, the reports of my demise? A bit exaggerated. But I have been a bit buried lately, with all kind of stuff to do.

Comments

PastorJim said…
When she asked the leader if she was allowed to not believe everything the ministry taught, the answer was a vehement NO! You have to believe it all. Reminds me of some of the pre-trib, post-trib, eschatological debates that churches have had in the past - you must have a pre-tribulation view of the rapture to be a leader in this church. Really? Why? Because that's the right way to believe and if you don't...blah, blah...

I think you've confused two points. I think a person can be a member/part of a church/community while not fully affirming everything taught by that ministry. However, I think that in order to have a leadership role in that church/community it is important to fully embrace their distinctives. For example, anyone is welcome at our fellowship, regardless of their view of the timing of the rapture (your example). This is obviously an area of secondary concern and should never be an issue that believers divide over. However, to be a pastor/elder you must affirm a pre-tribulational view because that is a doctrinal distinctive of the fellowship. I have no problem with that. If you can't affirm the distinctives of the organization you have no business taking a leadership position.
Pastor Bill said…
Yeah - it was off the cuff. I haven't presented the entirety of the mom's concerns (to protect her privacy) - there are just so many red flags.

And I wasn't thinking of your fellowship per se with the pretrib thing, though I've always enjoyed the conversations we have had about it. Probably just a bad example. I'm all for holding ourselves to standards - really get annoyed when we deny someone access to the Gospel and salvation for what I consider pretty arbitrary reasons...needless to say, I look at eschatology as an arbitrary divider of the body of Christ.

But, again, mea culpa for folding that example in where I did...
PastorJim said…
I agree that there's no excuse for witholding the Gospel or fellowship from someone because of secondary, debatable issues. I know we've both speculated that the Holy Spirit has perhaps allowed some things to remain "vague" to provoke us to deeper study and fellowship in spite of our differing interpretations. Where the Word is clear, I want to be clear. Where it is not, I want to practice Richard Baxter's maxim, "In necessary things, unity; in doubtful things, liberty; in all things, charity."

PS: I didn't really think you were refering to my fellowship. It's really good to be interacting with you, brother (even in this limited form). Hope you and your family are well and blessed.

Popular posts from this blog

Buzzword Bingo

B C Comic