The Righteous, the Self-Righteous and the Downright Unrighteous


We're gearing up to celebrate the U2charist again this year. I'm really looking forward to it. I know some people can't get over the fact that Bono drops the f-bomb or that he smokes or whatever - so he's not "christian enough" for some people. I believe in his relationship with God through Jesus Christ - I believe that it is genuine and deep and passionate.

And that's enough for me.

Now, don't tell anybody, but I've dropped the f-bomb a few times myself...and, though I don't smoke, I do indulge in self-destructive behavior (have you seen me at a Steak N Shake? I can REALLY put away the fries... and there's a whole post on here about evil donuts). So, yeah, I get it. I'm trying to "work out my salvation with fear and trembling"** just like everybody else.

Yeah, I don't get the ear of presidents (hmmm, do you suppose Pres. Obama reads my blog? heh) and millions of fans. So what that means is my life is less scrutinized. But if I had to do ten interviews a month or whatever - well, you'd find lots of reasons to question my salvation too, that's all I'm saying.

So - U2charist (Karyn, I'm purposefully "mis" spelling this, just in case you're reading - heh) is coming up. I love the idea that we can celebrate the most holy of moments together - the righteous and the self righteous and the downright unrighteous. I think God is honored that way. With music that is righteous and self righteous and sometimes downright unrighteous.

Let me end with Jesus' words:

"To what can I compare this generation? They are like children sitting in the marketplaces and calling out to others:

" 'We played the flute for you,
and you did not dance;
we sang a dirge
and you did not mourn.'

For John came neither eating nor drinking, and they say, 'He has a demon.' The Son of Man came eating and drinking, and they say, 'Here is a glutton and a drunkard, a friend of tax collectors and "sinners." ' But wisdom is proved right by her actions." (Matthew 11:16-19 NIV)


** Okay, in Bible study last week I realized that this verse is probably saying that we all, together, work our (collective) salvation out with fear and trembling - but I'm part of us all...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Buzzword Bingo

B C Comic