Falling...

Last night at 7:30 we began a 24 hour prayer vigil here at Christ church which is going to end in just under 3 hours as we begin our Ash Wednesday worship service.

We blocked it out into 48 half-hour time slots and most were filled by the time the vigil started - but there were a couple openings. So I thought I'd take the "least desirable" of what was left - two slots back to back - 1:30 and 2:00 AM. Oof...

Set the alarm for 1:30 (you didn't really expect that I'd still be up, did you? Heh...not so much anymore...

Anyway, I hauled myself out of bed at 1:25, went downstairs and started to pray. And at some point - please, pretend to be surprised - I fell asleep. All I know is, I was talking to God and then all of a sudden I was snoring (woke myself up by snorting, no less) and looked at the clock and it was 3:45.

Immediately, I heard "Could you men not keep watch with me for one hour?"

But I didn't know it was Jesus' last night as a free man.

I didn't know that I'd be denying I even knew him and running away.

I didn't know that I wouldn't be able to talk to him until after he died.

And last night... I took my time in the presence of God - my dearest friend, the Creator of the universe, my God and my Savior - for granted.

I didn't know that today I would need that foundation of prayer last night more than I have in a while.

I didn't know...

Because I take you for granted, God.

And fall asleep instead of falling in adoration.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Buzzword Bingo

B C Comic