Sudden Death...


...Overtime

I'm watching the Penguins - it's game five, if the Pens win, they win the series - it's the second overtime - been tied for 28+ minutes**...waiting, watching, wondering how these guys are still on their feet...uh, skates.

And I was thinking about overtime - it's "sudden death" overtime. You know, the first team to score, wins the game (they only do this in the playoffs, it's weirder in the regular season). Basketball plays a full five-minute period, but the other major sports***, it's all sudden death (okay, not team handball, but you have to draw the line somewhere...).

Anyway, I was thinking about calling it "sudden death." Here's the thing about it - it celebrates not the winner, but the loser (okay, doesn't really "celebrate" the loser so much as...um...focus on). Just found that interesting. It's not about who won, but who lost - sudden death. Not sudden life. Or immediate victory. Or whatever. Death...

By the way - in 1984 the White Sox beat the Bruins (that's baseball, you know) 7-6 in 25 innings...

And March 23, 1936: The Detroit Red Wings beat the Montreal Maroons 1-0 in the 6th overtime and after a total of 116:30 minutes had been played in overtime.



EDIT - sigh...fell asleep when the SECOND overtime ended...woke up and they lost...




** So, now as I'm getting ready to publish this, it's been 35+ minutest of overtime...dang, I'd be dead if I were on the ice (heh, mostly because I can't skate...)

*** Okay, yeah, major sports to me are Baseball and Football...you want a sports blog, go to ESPN...

Comments

Aaron said…
Loved this post. Back in like 1996.or something..the Pens and the FLyers went to 5 overtimes. I stayed up for that game. I was tired just watching them...and I do know how to skate! HA

Popular posts from this blog

Buzzword Bingo

B C Comic