More On Tribes

If you're getting tired of stuff about Seth Godin's idea of Tribes...I don't care.  It's my blog.  It's what I'm writing about...  Go read Michael's Blog* or Aaron's Blog* and come back tomorrow.  Well, might be more of the same ** but check back anyway.


I had a realization while I mowed the grass about this tribes stuff (makerbot post) that while these are my people - I AM a part of these tribes - these geeky, fringe, nerdy tribes - the Star Wars, model railroad, guitar playing, Lord of the Rings reading, movie making, computer grokking, role-playing gaming, fantasy reading, Doctor Who watching tribes, I'm a FRINGE member of these FRINGE tribes.


Here's what happened.  The same conversation where I realized that I'm not one of the cool kids, Lori and I were talking about leisure time and disposable income - neither of which we have.  But we talked about what we would do if we had both - lots of free time and lots of extra money.  And we realized that we'd probably just be way more generous with both.  You see, both of us have our tribes - I've listed mine, right?  And Lori's a big Steeler fan, for example, but neither of us is really a member of those tribes on a social level.


Here's what I mean.  I like to watch Star Wars, I read about it sometimes, I know a lot of trivia.  I HATE to talk to people about it, I don't want to see your action figure collection and if you show up to the premiere of the new movie dressed as a character, I will pretend I don't know you. No, I don't want to go to a Star Wars convention.   I don't want to hear about your 23rd level paladin or how you totally kicked Demogorgon's butt.***  I'm not really interested in your guitar rig and I don't want to talk about mine, either (though I'll gladly read all about what Edge plays and the details of his delay settings for Where The Streets Have No Name or watch him talk about his rig**** - but you, sir, are not the Edge).


My point is, while I'm sort of a part of these tribes...I'm more, kind of...like a desert father or something.  You know, they were still Christians - very dedicated - part of the tribe and all...but hermits, off on their own, not "in the mix."  


So...maybe I don't do this tribe thing very well... and that makes me wonder if I do the whole community thing well.  I mean, I'm an off the charts introvert.  In EVERY assessment I've ever taken, I'm completely introverted - that is I get energy from being alone.  So am I doing the whole church thing wrong, too?  Am I involved enough in community there?  How's our tribe?  






*Seriously - if you haven't read these blogs, you should.  They haven't updated in a while, but read the archives. Great stuff.  They both have a lot to say about...well, a lot of stuff...
** It won't be.  More internet time travel.  I'm writing tomorrow's blog post last Thursday, so, I know, you know?
***Back in the day I went to a couple of gaming conventions and walking around I thought to myself, "This is unbelievable.  I'm the only  remotely normal person in the whole building."  And I'm not that normal.
****Like here and here

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Buzzword Bingo

B C Comic