Yea! I Get To Go Back To School!

Yesterday, Lori took Rachel and Elie to the doctor - Elie to get the flu mist up the nose (waaaay better than getting a shot - which took like three adults and 15 minutes and a chase down the hall I think last year...sigh...), and Rachel to get checked out because she's been sick...again...  Rachel has croup and a sinus infection...again...sigh...

But that's not the point.

I got a text from Lori that said, "Still waiting for Rachel to be seen.  El was supposed to be back at school half hour ago."  I texted back that I would come get her.

When I picked up Elie, she said, "Yea!!  I get to go back to school!"

Now, I'm no expert, but 8 year-olds aren't supposed to like school that much, are they?  So I'm like, "Why do you want to go back to school?"

And she said for two reasons, one (sort of) negative, one positive:

First, she didn't want any homework, so the quicker she got back to school, the less she would miss and the less work she would have to make up.

Second, she wanted to be with her friends.

And I was really happy to hear that.  She didn't want to miss anything, she wanted to be with people.  School was a place she wanted to be.  There was a "cost" to be paid for missing, both work to make up on her "free time" and relationships that she won't be engaged in.

So, are we saying "Yea! I get to go back to church!"?  Are we concerned, when we have to miss church, that we're "missing something" and that we're "missing someone"?  Probably, we don't have any "makeup" work to do, or not a lot (might catch the sermon online, maybe catch up on the journal if you're part of Otterbein church and you do the Transformation Journal), but would you have been concerned that you would have missed anything important?

Probably not.

I don't think generally we think much is going to happen on any given Sunday.  The same old stuff.  Sing some songs, hear a sermon, say hello to the same people.  You know.  No surprises.

Elie sees these same people five days a week - but doesn't want to miss being with them.  And she has to do actual, sometimes difficult (for her level) work - but she can't wait to get back.

Some Sundays I hear people say they just couldn't care enough to get ready for church in time...

What's different?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Buzzword Bingo

B C Comic