Tony Scott, Twitter, And When to Shut Up

I saw this morning that director Tony Scott committed suicide by jumping off a bridge in LA.  I enjoyed many of Scott's movies - I mean, who didn't watch Top Gun or Crimson Tide back in the day? - and some of his work on TV, too (Lori and I were avid fans of the show NUMB3RS when it ran - I think we've seen every episode).

I just saw a report that he may have had inoperable brain cancer which might explain his motive...a bit, I suppose.  Some yesterday hinted that being in his brother Ridley Scott's shadow might somehow have contributed...*

Several articles had tweets from famous people regarding Scott's death:



In a tweet Sunday, director Ron Howard said, "No more Tony Scott movies. Tragic day."
Director Jon Favreau tweeted, "Such sad news about Tony Scott. Heartfelt condolences to his family and friends."

Really?  Tweets?  I find that to be...just wrong somehow.  "Heartfelt condolences" in 140 characters or less. Okay - maybe they're out of context, maybe they're just snippets from longer tweets - or a series of tweets - or... I don't know.  Twitter may be a format for communication...but I'm not sure it's the most appropriate for...this. The above tweets read to me more like something someone says...well...to just to fill their twitter feed.  I mean, neither is bad per se...just not really...personal... It's so...public and...generic...

Tom Cruise had this to say"Tony was my dear friend and I will really miss him. He was a creative visionary whose mark on film is immeasurable. My deepest sorrow and thoughts are with his family at this time."


NOT on Twitter, I might add (it's 180 characters - darn you Twitter feed!!!) Scott may have made Cruise's career with Top Gun and Days of Thunder**.  Clearly, this statement (not tweet) was thought through, a private thought, but intended for people to remember.  Not filler.  

Maybe a bit of a rant today on not just saying something to have something to say.  Social media has given us the opportunity to have a constant voice - we don't have to use it - we don't have to fill it up.  I am saddened because Tony Scott faced whatever circumstances were in his life - cancer and all that means perhaps, but whatever it may have been - and felt that his best option was to throw himself off a bridge. But not to judge. I can't imagine what was going through his mind.  I can only hurt for him and for his family.  I pray for God's mercy on him and comfort for his family and friends. 


It is a tragic time - made no less so by empty words thrown around to make ourselves look or feel better or seem more compassionate or more informed or whatever.***


So I will celebrate Tony Scott's films & documentaries and TV shows.  I will enjoy his work and mourn his death and pray for his family.  









*Because what we generally want out of the news is...well...the sensational...or at least something bad..
**ok - he would have probably done okay anyway, but still...
***And yes, I DO realize that I might be doing the very thing I'm complaining about.  I don't want to be.  I just...it was so tragic a thing...and then...Twittter, really?  I just almost couldn't believe the hollowness of the tweets that I had to get it out of my system...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Buzzword Bingo

B C Comic